Re: db replication and errors

From: Benjamin <benjamin(at)netyantra(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db replication and errors
Date: 2005-02-26 13:43:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> Run-time replication is not an issue, as I have other mechanisms for
> that, which are part of this server, and they work fine.
>
>> The only problem I am facing now, is of the case when the standby is
>> booting up. I have to ensure an absolutely correct copying of files.
>

> If you've got a replicated version of the database why bother copying
> the files?
> Thinking about it, why copy the files at all anyway? If the server is
> still running why has PG stopped?

Well, the standby has to be a replica. So there would be occasion, say
on a machine crash or something, when the standby reboots, or it is
installed much later than the Primary. So when it is booted, I have to
make sure it is an exact replica of the Primary.

>> I want to know how do i go about diagnosing problems, if and when
>> they arise.
>> I have come across pg_filedump. But cant really make out much frm the
>> output that pg_filedump produces.
>

> If you have *any* problems, then the file copy didn't work. Bin it and
> restore from backup. It's only when you don't have a backup that it's
> worse messing with pg_filedump.

will work on that for sure..

Now, the server as such, and the copying mechanism itself has been sort
of cleaned up, and possible error points in the copying of files are
being logged. Now things seem a lot brighter!!

thanx for the help.

--

Benjamin Jacob.

Disclaimer :
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission to whom it is
addressed, or have received this transmission in error, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmission
is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail
from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, which cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, arrive at wrong address or contain viruses. If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. This e-mail contains only the
personal opinions of the sender and does not represent an official
communication from NetYantra of any manner.