Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)
Date: 2005-01-12 19:52:53
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>The fundamental problem is that you can't do it without adding at least
>16 bytes, probably 20, to the size of an index tuple header. That would
>double the physical size of an index on a simple column (eg an integer
>or timestamp). The extra I/O costs and extra maintenance costs are
>unattractive to say the least. And it takes away some of the
>justification for the whole thing, which is that reading an index is
>much cheaper than reading the main table. That's only true if the index
>is much smaller than the main table ...
>
> regards, tom lane

I recognize the added cost of implementing index only scans. As storage
is relatively cheap these days, everyone I know is more concerned about
faster access to data. Similarly, it would still be faster to scan the
indexes than to perform a sequential scan over the entire relation for
this case. I also acknowledge that it would be a negative impact to
indexes where this type of acces isn't required, as you suggested and
which is more than likely not the case. I just wonder what more people
would be happier with and whether the added 16-20 bytes would be
extremely noticable considering most 1-3 year old hardware.