8.0 rc2 Problem

From: Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.0 rc2 Problem
Date: 2004-12-27 07:44:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Right just installed rc2 to test so that we can use 8.0 once its
out. Loads of nice features, Nice to see them all. Postgres 8.0 seams
faster, but this might be due to the reload. Oh the point in time
recovery feature are there any example scripts to say copy the files to
somewhere then print them onto cd or somthing once created. Oh and is it
possible to examin the point in time logs and see what happerened when,
ie which table got updated to what, very useful when research problems
later.... Probably would require some form of viewer I guess.

2 Problems encountered.

1. Confirguration file is completly different, so it you have one that
you have configured carfull for 7.4 it will not work at all with 8.0
many configuration options have changed there names or changed how they
work. I can understand new ones and dropping some of the old ones but
why change it so complely?

2. I loaded out 7.4 database on via a dump and reload. Once done I keep
getting errors when it trys to analyse (I'm using autovacuum) Nothing
unsuall just a straght forward pg_dump from 7.4 loaded into 8.0.

Dec 27 07:34:45 ex37 postgres[5745]: [28-1] ERROR: could not access
status of transaction 2684354560
Dec 27 07:34:45 ex37 postgres[5745]: [28-2] DETAIL: could not open file
"/data/db/pg_clog/0A00": No such file or directory
Dec 27 07:34:45 ex37 postgres[5745]: [28-3] STATEMENT: ANALYZE
"public"."driverworklog"

This is running on an almost new install of Debian Sarge.

Peter Childs