Not wanting to throw a wrench in things

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things
Date: 2004-12-20 20:58:51
Lists: pgsql-www

Hello,

I don't want to throw a wrench in the launch. I really do want
to see the new site go up. However I have a question that has
been bugging me for a while.

First: Archives

Why are there google ads? I didn't say anything at first because
well if you look at the ads there is an obvious benefit for Command
Prompt to keep our collective mouths shut. However it seems incorrect
to have these google ads all over the place. Yes it helps to pay for
bandwidth but Command Prompt isn't seeing that money and Command Prompt
hosts the archives??? Thus I would like to see the google ads removed.

Second: Sponsors

Initially the sponsorships seemed to make sense again it helps pay for
bandwidth... however much of the bandwidth is now distributed via
community members, Command Prompt relays the lists through two servers,
we host the archives, and I know there are several other entities
that are hosting different services that are not centralized.

I believe that there should be recognition for the work that people
do to help support the project, but I don't think that we need the
sponsored banners to do so. I think a sponsors page is enough.

Third: Archives again

I know that the person that did the aspseek work for the search engine
did a LOT of work but I think we should let google handle our searching.
We already do this on techdocs. We also may want to consider this for
straight docs.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake