Re: solaris 10 with gcc 3.3.2

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Belbin, Peter" <PBelbin(at)McLeodUSA(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris 10 with gcc 3.3.2
Date: 2004-12-18 10:57:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

>I wrote:
>

>>This is standard practice for gcc: it tries to use "cleaned up" versions
>>of system headers that will not elicit useless warnings from gcc. It's
>>a good idea, actually, because the degree of insanity in vendor-supplied
>>system headers is pretty depressing. But if the gcc install process
>>generated an invalid "cleanup" file then you need to take that up with
>>the gcc boys, not us.
>>

>On rereading this, a nearly-dead neuron fired --- I have seen problems
>of this sort arise when someone took a gcc installation generated on
>NiftyVendorUnix M.N and copied it verbatim to NiftyVendorUnix M.N+1,
>or indeed any release other than M.N.

That nearly-dead neuron has value. The problem is that most people are
getting the Solaris 10 beta builds whose headers conflict with the gcc
3.3.2 package's 'adapted' headers they are acquiring from
sunfreeware.com, which, along with distributing other binary packages,
is the place referred to by gcc.gnu.org for pre-built Solaris binaries.
All the original poster needs to do is rebuild the gcc's 'adapted'
headers with:

# cd /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10/3.3.2/install-tools
# ./mkheaders

and they should be good to go....

Mike Mascari