Re: pgsql: Instead of supposing (wrongly, in the general

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Instead of supposing (wrongly, in the general
Date: 2004-12-12 07:11:35
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Instead of supposing (wrongly, in the general case) that the rowtype
> of an inheritance child table is binary-compatible with the rowtype of
> its parent, invent an expression node type that does the conversion
> correctly. Fixes the new bug exhibited by Kris Shannon as well as a
> lot of old bugs that would only show up when using multiple inheritance
> or after altering the parent table.

Attached is a patch adding regression tests for this change. I'll apply
it to HEAD later tonight or tomorrow baring any objections. I just used
the two test cases posted in the -hackers thread; Tom, if you have any
other test cases for this behavior in mind, just let me know.

-Neil

Attachment Content-Type Size
inh_rowtype_cast_test-1.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB