Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: Jussi Mikkola <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-13 11:20:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Hi,

I think this is very much project management and co-operation issue.

First, I think that the web desing should be decided by those people who
do the design. And those who don't, well, I don't see much help that we
critisize the work of others. They surely know what they are doing. So I
think it would be best, that both the design groups would talk together,
and come up with a solution they see best. And one thing that
influences this very much, is, that one needs to think also about the
future, and that all those people can also contribute in the future, and
don't quit, because their work was not considered valuable. And there is
a plenty of graphical work to do, so that there is the same look and
feel in both web and other materials.

Secondly, I think we are not looking at the whole picture. We need some
kind of a schedule. That schedule should have both the website, the
translations, and the code in it. (And maybe some other things too. )We
could then for example decide, that we postpone the 8.0 release for 1
month, because that way we have the new website ready. The same thing
with translations, templates etc.

Schedule is also important for the point, that now there has been
complaints about designs, and nobody ever considers, is it better that
what we have know? When can we have it ready? We try to have it perfect,
and fail to notice, that a good solution now, would be better, than a
perfect solution sometime after the release.

This applies also to the release schedule. I have seen, that it will be
released, when it's ready, but no schedule. To decide that we have a new
design by 8.0 we also need to have a date for it. If we then later
decide to move that date, then we do, but it gives others an idea, when
they should have something ready. And it helps them make decisions. They
can decide to leave some part out just to make it ready.

Finally, I think we also need a place, where this all is available for
those who need access to it. It does not help that there is a schedule,
if people don't know it. And telling people, what is happening and when,
makes it a lot easier for them to take part in doing it. And then people
having the skills, can see where their skills are bringing most value.

Rgs,

Jussi

--
Jussi Mikkola Partner, Project Manager