Re: locales and encodings on Windows

From: Aleksander Kmetec <aleksander(dot)kmetec(at)intera(dot)si>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: locales and encodings on Windows
Date: 2004-11-11 20:05:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Do you know enough to say exactly which locale/encoding
> combinations have to be removed fromt he installer?

The encodings are:
UTF8
EUC_CN
EUC_TW
LATIN6 (ISO 8859-10/ECMA 144)
LATIN7 (ISO 8859-13)
LATIN8 (ISO 8859-14)
LATIN10 (ISO 8859-16/ASRO SR 14111

While you can still create databases using these encodings, it's not
possible to initb with a locale that uses the same encoding. This means
ORDER BY, UPPER() and similar will produce wrong results.

I guess I'll resubmit my installer patch for listing locales supported
by the system, this time without the encodings listed above. That way
most users won't see unsupported encodings, while people who know what
they're doing can still reach them by using CREATE DATABASE newdb
ENCODING 'encoding'.

>>Last October there was a discussion on pgsql-hackers about
>>writing locale support for PG, so it wouldn't depend on the
>>system for locale functionality any more. Is anyone still
>>working on that?
>
> I have no idea, but I'm certain if someone is this is definitly not
> going to happen for 8.0.

I know this feature can't make it into 8.0; but blaming Windows for more
than one release cycle might not look very good. :-(

Regards,
Aleksander