Re: dump/restore results in duplicate key violation with 7.4.6.

From: Dan Libby <dan(at)libby(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dump/restore results in duplicate key violation with 7.4.6.
Date: 2004-11-05 20:37:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Some more info...

danda wrote:

> So at this point I am mostly at a loss. I would have thought that
> after changing the source DB to UNICODE encoding it should exhibit the
> same behavior as the target. I can think of two explanations:
>
> 1: initdb does something with the encoding beyond setting
> pg_database(encoding).
>
> 2: there is a bug in 7.4.6 that does not exist in 7.4.3
>
> I suppose the next step is to create a new DB in 7.4.3 using UNICODE
> and attempt to import the data in the same manner. But right now I
> need a break.

Okay, I tried the following test using the same input file on both
machines. All steps identical.

1) create database test_enc with encoding = 'UNICODE';

2) Create the schema for the 'category' table.

3) \i category_dump.sql

It works on 7.4.3, but I get the duplicate key violation on 7.4.6.

7.4.3 is running on gentoo and was built with emerge postgresql.

7.4.6 is running on Redhat 9 and was built with
./configure --prefix=/var/lib/pgsql --with-python --with-perl

I can probably come up with a clean test case using simplified data.
I'm still hoping someone has the magical solution though...

Dan Libby