Re: Interpolation of environment variables in SQL at runtime?

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Andy Gimblett <A(dot)M(dot)Gimblett(at)swansea(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interpolation of environment variables in SQL at runtime?
Date: 2004-10-31 22:02:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Andy Gimblett wrote:
> Hopefully what I'm asking is fairly obvious. But is it possible? I
> can imagine some fairly unwiedly ways to do this involving
> preprocessing, but would involve jumping through lots of hoops, and
> I'd hope for a cleaner solution. Environment variables seems the
> obvious "Unixy" approach...
>
> Surely people have hit this problem before? How's it solved?

See plr_environ() in PL/R's pg_userfunc.c. You could probably rip it out
and use it standalone with reasonable ease (or perhaps modify it to
return a single requested environment variable).

Use it like this:

select value from plr_environ() where name = 'MANPATH';
value
/usr/local/pgsql-dev/man:
(1 row)

Joe