Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?
Date: 2004-10-31 11:13:50
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

I'm testing the mirroring script for new version of postgresql.org and the
results are *interesting*:

Oct 31 10:11:32 mirror [info] Mirroring finished. 423 page(s) saved, 1226
second(s) spent

~3 seconds per page is a bit too much, don't you think? Also please note that it
took ~20 minutes to save the pages *not including* the documentation, which is
*several thousand* pages in size!

Here are the results for mirroring of just 7.4 "interactive" docs:

Oct 31 11:12:46 mirror [info] Mirroring finished. 603 page(s) saved, 2716
second(s) spent

That's >4 seconds per page...

These are the pages from wwwdevel, but as www and wwwdevel are on one box
physically, you get the unpleasant picture. It actually worked faster on my test
server and that is P2-233. Also please note that today is Sunday, I doubt it
will be faster on weekday.

Dunno about you, but if that was my site I'd already be searching for another
hosting. I'm sure that some hosters will be glad to even donate that to
PostgreSQL project.