Re: plpgsql: PERFORM vs. SELECT INTO (PERFORM not setting FOUND

From: Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>
To: Marinos Yannikos <mjy(at)geizhals(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql: PERFORM vs. SELECT INTO (PERFORM not setting FOUND
Date: 2004-10-25 20:08:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Marinos Yannikos wrote:
> (btw.: I'm trying a few ways to ensure that all values in both t1 and t2
> are unique:
> alter table blup add constraint check (blup_unique3(t1,t2));
> - perhaps there are more elegant ways, any suggestions?)

No doubt someone will tell me this is Very Wrong:

create table blup_text(txt text primary key);

create table blup (t1 text references blup_text(txt),
t2 text references blup_text(txt));

You may want to add NOT NULL conditions to t1, t2.

If your text values are long, this may be a good place to use synthetic
keys - e.g.

create table blup_text(id serial primary key, txt text unique);
create table blup(t1 integer references blup_text(id),
t2 integer references blub_text(id));

--
Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>