Re: BUG #1284: The backend has broken the connection.

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: snupadhye(at)hotmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #1284: The backend has broken the connection.
Date: 2004-10-12 14:08:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PostgreSQL Bugs List wrote:

> Bug reference: 1284
> Logged by: Shilpa Upadhye
>
> Email address: snupadhye(at)hotmail(dot)com
>
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0 Beta
>
> Operating system: Redhat Linux 9.0

> Details:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have postgres 7.4.5 on Redhat Linux 9.0. We are using
> jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27,jdk 1.4.x,SOFIA 2.1 and pg74.214.jdbc2.jar
>

> We are getting the following error:
> The backend has broken the connection. Possibly the action you have
> attempted has caused it to close.
> at org.postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveChar(PG_Stream.java:143)
> at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:68)
> at org.postgresql.Connection.ExecSQL(Connection.java:398)
> at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.execute(Statement.java:130)
> at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:73)
> org.postgresql.jdbc2.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java
> at :113)
> at com.salmonllc.sql.DSDataSourceJDBC.insertRow(DSDataSourceJDBC.java:182)
> at com.salmonllc.sql.DataStore.update(DataStore.java:1977)
> at com.salmonllc.sql.DataStore.update(DataStore.java:1907)
> com.eq.model.operations.contractChargeModel.update(contractChargeModel.java
> at :426)
> at
> com.eq.model.operations.ContractWrapModel.update(ContractWrapModel.java:381)
> com.eq.controller.operations.ContractDetailsController.submitPerformed(Cont
> at ractDetailsController.java:378)

This doesn't help that much, for sure you are trying to perform an operation
that crash the backend, are you using a store procedure in C, are you using
third part contrib modules ? Could be also interesting see the postgresql log
at the time of crash in order to see what you were doing.

> Sometimes I also get the error 'Database is in recovery mode'

This is normal if you try to reconnect the DB immediately after the error above,
this because the engine perform a recovery after have close all connections.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola