Re: output file name - was pg_restore / psql

From: Harald Armin Massa <ghum(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: output file name - was pg_restore / psql
Date: 2004-10-04 11:33:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andrew,

I know it is my fault and a "manual not read error" ... but: have you
skimmed lately the PostgreSQL HTML-Docs wich get installed by the
installer beta2-dev3? ;)))))

Within "Server Administration" there is the topic "Backup and Restore"
- quite where everybody expects it.

22.1. SQL Dump says no word about formats that could get dumped...

and

22.1.1.explaines:

"""
The text files created by pg_dump are intended to be read in by the psql
program. The general command form to restore a dump is

psql dbname < infile

"""

within 22.1.3 there is also described the "official" (hey, it's the
official documentation!) way to compress pg_dumps

pg_dump dbname | gzip > filename.gz

(I took the liberty to update to "bz2" in my installations ...)

###############

Is there a special place to report documentations bugs or fixes to the
documentation? Because I am known for reading a lot of documentation
stuff (still looking for man girls) .... and if I do not stumble upon
this kind of information while skimming and googling; I really guess
there will be more in the windows world after PostgreSQL spreads there
who really do not find it (and I really wish it will flourish!)

>regarding your other suggestions, feel free to submit a patch to
improve the docs. ;-)
Could you please point me to a link how to do it best without causing
minimal trouble? The last "documentation patch" I suggested I described
in mail to Bruce Momjan ... around 3 years ago *G*

Thank you very much for all your help and all the effort that you have
put into PostgreSQL! I am a very very happy user of this database; and
really was frightened that there may be some "forgotten" probs with dump
/restore.

Harald

ceterum censeo PSQL needs a bug tracker

Attachment Content-Type Size