Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Infrastructure TODO list

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Infrastructure TODO list
Date: 2004-09-30 09:07:52
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> OK, well I didn't see that problem noted in amongst the rest of the
> thread. Was that a widespread problem? Certainly I didn't have any
> issues with anoncvs or pgfoundry's CVS yesterday, and Gborg is running
> like lightning for me at the moment.

Dunno. Mentioned it on the slony IRC and was told there was heavy
packet loss from a switch in Panama.

Seems fine today of course, but it seems like we shouldn't forget the
important major hosted PG sites as well in this conversation if we're
worried about outages. :)

>>Dropped connections all over the place etc. :(
>
> Well, if Telstra are anything like BT, then they wouldn't be able to get
> a packet transmitted over a hundred miles, never mind a few thousand ;-)

Heh

There are definitely some parts of Telstra that have a consistency like
that, but for *this* particular part of Telstra, it's the backbone
between the rest of Telstra (and thus most of Australia) and the outside
world.

Like, our routers are the end point off of the international connection,
and we provide the bandwidth to the rest of Oz. Doesn't mean we're 100%
perfect, but things are past the "mission critical" status and into
national "critical infrastructure" if that helps. ;)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift