fedora core 2 postgresql regression tests fail

From: John McBride <jmcbride(at)ccis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: fedora core 2 postgresql regression tests fail
Date: 2004-09-30 04:07:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have been playing with postgresql at home, working through a book on
general database installation and use. Mostly it is an oracle book, but
much of the book is easily translated to Postgres. This is on a fedora
core 2 linux box, kept fully yum updated.

Here are the packages installed via yum:

$ rpm -qa | grep postgres
postgresql-libs-7.4.2-1
postgresql-server-7.4.2-1
postgresql-test-7.4.2-1
postgresql-7.4.2-1
postgresql-devel-7.4.2-1

Then I enable plpgsql:

$ droplang plpgsql template1
$ createlang plpgsql template1
$ createlang -l template1
Procedural Languages
Name | Trusted?
---------+----------
plpgsql | yes

As user postgres I try and run the tests:

$ pwd
/usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress
$ time ./pg_regress.sh --schedule=parallel_schedule
6 of 93 tests failed, 1 of these failures ignored.

$ grep -i FAIL ./regression.out
test create_function_1 ... FAILED
triggers ... FAILED
plpgsql ... failed (ignored)
copy2 ... FAILED
rangefuncs ... FAILED
test stats ... FAILED

Here are some results from the diffs:

$ grep ERROR regression.diffs
ERROR: could not access file "nosuchfile": No such file or directory
! ERROR: Can't find function nosuchsymbol in file
/usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress/regress.so
ERROR: there is no built-in function named "nosuch"
ERROR: could not access file "nosuchfile": No such file or directory
! ERROR: could not find function "nosuchsymbol" in file
"/usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress/regress.so"
ERROR: there is no built-in function named "nosuch"
+ ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist
+ ERROR: function trigger_func() does not exist
+ ERROR: function trigger_func() does not exist
+ ERROR: function trigger_func() does not exist
+ ERROR: function trigger_func() does not exist
+ ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist

$ grep plpgsql regression.diffs | more
+ ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist
*** ./expected/plpgsql.out Wed Sep 24 23:58:06 2003
--- ./results/plpgsql.out Mon Sep 27 21:11:32 2004
' language 'plpgsql';
+ ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist

$ grep HINT regression.diffs
+ HINT: You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the
database.

So I guess I am confused. I thought I added the required language
(plpgsql) properly. Sorry if this is something obvious, I have googled
several times and have not found much help for this.

Perhaps I should be building from source or using the RedHat "rhdb" iso?

Thanks for any hints,
John