Re: Table UPDATE is too slow

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table UPDATE is too slow
Date: 2004-09-01 00:18:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Thanks for everyone's comments (Thomas, Steinar, Frank, Matt, William).
Right now I'm bench-marking the time it takes for each step
in the end of day update process and then I am going to test a few things:
- dropping most indexes, and check the full processing time and see if
there is any noticeable performance degradation on the web-end
- wrapping the updates in a transaction, and check the timing
- combining the two
- reviewing my shared_buffers and sort_memory settings

Thanks
Ron