Re: futex

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: futex
Date: 2004-08-25 22:26:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'll have to admit to having only a beginner's grasp of this stuff, but I do
> believe that that was what the OSDL patch did. Jan also tried a simpler
> patch, which didn't work either. Both Jan and Tom have expressed the
> opinion that the only solution is to make the BufrMgrLock more granular (as
> in, not monolithic) but this is a huge task.

It's worth noting that I did a lot of work toward that goal (making the
BufMgrLock more granular) earlier in 2004, but unfortunately wasn't able
to get it finished before leaving for the summer. I can't guarantee that
the approach I took was the right one, but if anyone's interested in
working on this area then it might save some time to start with previous
work. I want to take another shot at doing this for 8.1, although I
don't know right now if I'll be able to.

-Neil