Re: postmaster.pid

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster.pid
Date: 2004-08-25 17:53:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:

>Well, wouldn't it be better then to do an OS-dependant check for a running
>postmaster, which could use kill() on IMHO broken systems where it's not easy
>to determine the processname for a PID, and more elaborate checking on
>others. On Windows, there's OpenProcess et al, on Linux, one could resort
>to /proc. I didn't develop on too many others, but there should be
>possibilities for those, too.

At this stage in the dev cycle I don't think so - might be worth
improving the robustness post 8.0. Assuming you have access to /proc can
be dangerous too - even if it's there (and in some jail/chroot type
environments it isn't) .

One thought I did have was that it might be worth ignoring the .pid file
is its mtime was older than the system boot time, assuming that both
could be determined portably and reliably.

cheers

andrew