pgTcl and Refcursors

From: "Philip A(dot) Chapman" <pchapman(at)pcsw(dot)us>
To: Pgsql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgTcl and Refcursors
Date: 2004-08-25 17:08:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Everyone,

I am about to begin a project which will use Java (JDBC) and postgresql.
In most Java projects, I do not embed SQL code, but create functions
which have the SQL logic. I call the functions from within my Java
code. For selects, the functions return refcursors, which the Java code
can get results from.

However, a seperate team is going to be using Tcl to do some rapid
prototyping. I would rather re-use as much of their work as possible.
If they also put all their SQL logic into functions, I can make my code
call the same functions. The question is, can Tcl process a resultset
provided as a refcursor by a function? I am not very familiar with Tcl,
and a scan of the PostgreSQL documentation's pgTcl section didn't seem
to provide an answer (at least to me).

Any help you provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP