Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on postgresql

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on postgresql
Date: 2004-08-22 18:00:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,
> Supported by *whom* exactly? It won't be the core committee; we have
> more than enough to do managing the server itself.

I don't doubt that for a second. What I'm suggesting must be staffed
somehow. The core committee must be involved though or the whole idea
falls apart. You *are* PostgreSQL (at least to me).

> Whoever is actually doing this "verifying" and "supporting" can take
> on the work of producing the "supported configuration" package too;
> IMHO it would really be pretty meaningless to do otherwise.

Agree.

> I think the place where this most naturally falls is with the commercial
> Linux distributors (Red Hat, Suse, etc). They're already in the
> business of assembling disparate upstream sources and making sure those
> bits play nicely together.

Here I don't agree. It's very important that the packaging is made by
PostgreSQL. I'm not contributing PL/Java for the benefit of Red Hat or
Suse. I'm doing it because I want to improve the database. Also, when a
Solaris or Windows customer wants a database solution, it's higly
unlikely that they'd consult a commercial Linux distributor.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren