Re: Few questions on postgresql (dblink, 2pc, clustering)

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Jim Worke <jimworke(at)inbox(dot)lv>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Few questions on postgresql (dblink, 2pc, clustering)
Date: 2004-08-22 10:00:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Jim Worke wrote:
| On Sunday 22 August 2004 11:02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
|
|>2-phase isn't in 8.0 but I expect it in 8.1.
|

| Is it possible to know when is 8.1 going to be released for production (an
| estimate)?

Consider that 8.0 will be release *may be* during the end of this year.
Usually a development cycle between two release is 9 month and + 3 month
beta let me say: 8.1 will be release in 12 months. The core will try to
have a shortest cycle for 8.1 but I'll not bet on it.

|>>Basically, our concern is that dblink, 2PC implementation are there, but
|>>not in the PostgreSQL mainstream.
|>
|>You need to understand the limitations of dblink and see if it will work
|>for you. I can't imagine MySQl is allowing you to do this cleanly so I
|>don't see why it would hold up a MySQL -> PostgreSQL migration.
| Hmm... forgive me for saying it wrongly. We're actually "thinking" of
| migrating to PostgreSQL. Here's our case:
|
| We're going to do a major upgrading on our PHP code (from PHP 3 style to PHP
| 5.0), and was thinking of changing the database to PostgreSQL too.
| Currently, the number of transaction is not high, but we'd like to have a
| more scalable solution.
|
| MySQL does not allow cross-server database connection such as dblink. So,
| we're thinking of 3 alternatives:
|
| 1) Wait for MySQL clustering to be stable and put all our databases in the
| cluster
| 2) Migrate to PostgreSQL and use dblink to solve the referential integrity
| 3) Migrate to PostgreSQL clustering solution

May I know why are you sticky on the idea of spread your database among
various servers ? Free your mysql-minded. If you idea is an horizontal
scale solution then open your wallet and buy Oracle.
Postgresql scale very well vertically.

<SciencieFiction>
Another solution is hack the postmaster in order to have two parallel
postmaster running on the same server ( first phase ), when you did
this successfully then the second phase ( to hack too ) is buy the
hardware that permit more servers to share an unique shared memory
segment and then with the help of SAN you can have two postmaster that
are running on two different server that are belonging to a SAN and the
common shared memory segment.
</ScienceFiction>

Right now your only solution is buy a multiprocessor machine.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola