Re: Problems with charsets, investigated...

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: alexandre(dot)aufrere(at)inet6(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with charsets, investigated...
Date: 2004-08-08 02:29:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

(I'd appreciate a cc: on list posts as the pgsql lists can be unreliable)

Alexandre Aufrere wrote:
> Ok, seems i was really really unable to explain my problem...
>
> 1) Database's encoding is set to LATIN1 (we have SQL_ASCII nowhere)
> 2) JDBC driver requests data to database in UNICODE (hard-coded in driver)
> 3) String coming from database therefore are UTF-8-encoded. And they are
> correctly transcoded from LATIN1, as the encoding is correctly specified
> in the pg_database for that database.

This all sounds correct.

> 4) Java stores internally as UTF-16... but that's only the internal
> representation. Now there seems to be a problem here (see description of
> the work-around below).

The internal representation is always UTF-16, yes -- you must transcode
on output in general.

> 5) Java's file.encoding system property is set to ISO-8859-1 (because we
> have other data coming from LDAP or filesystem, which are encoded in
> ISO-8859-1 anyway)
> 6) Our web app choses to display Java Strings accordingly to
> file.encoding, therefore as ISO-8859-1
> 7) Bing ! problem: we are now interpreting UTF8-encoded strings (see point
> 2/3) as ISO-8859-1
> Therefore all the accentuated characters go wrong !

This implies that your web app is not transcoding correctly from UTF-16
(internal string representation) to ISO-8859-1.

How does your web app use file.encoding exactly? Note that the
file.encoding property does *not* control the default encoding used by
String.getBytes(), as I understand it; the default eencoding is
JVM-controlled from the system's locale settings.

> In all previous versions of the JDBC driver (we started with the one
> coming along with postgresql 7.0 series) coupled with the corresponding
> version of postgresql, the data was correctly retrieved.

I think this is luck of the draw more than anything..

> Now, a working work-around looks like:
> String correctString = new
> String(stringFromJdbcDriver.getBytes("ISO-8859-1"),"UTF-8");

This doesn't make sense at all! This means you are interpreting
ISO-8859-1 encoded bytes as UTF-8, which is nonsense.

> My patch eliminates the problem, because the JDBC driver gets ISO-8859-1
> (aka LATIN1) strings from the server, therefore java internal transcoding
> into UTF-16 goes ok...

It's still the wrong thing to do! I'm sure there is another bug here
that is causing the underlying problem. There should be no problem with
converting from client_encoding = UNICODE to Java's UTF-16.

What driver version *exactly* are you using? It's possible that you've
hit a driver bug of some sort that is fixed in the current driver
(specifically, I think build 302 was broken wrt. UTF-8 conversions --
but it was only available briefly). Have you tried with the current
development driver from jdbc.postgresql.org?

Can you show me the code your web app uses to display the Strings it
gets from the driver in ISO-8859-1?

Can you dump out the *characters* of the problem Strings you get from
the driver, one character at a time, and see what numeric values you're
getting and whether they are the right UTF-16 values you expect? i.e.

for (int i = 0; i < str.length(); ++i) {
System.out.println(" offset " + i + " value " + (int)str.charAt(i));
}

Can you provide a pg_dump (LATIN1 encoding I assume) plus sample
testcase that shows off the problem?

-O