Re: Error for WITH options on partitioned tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Karina Litskevich <litskevichkarina(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error for WITH options on partitioned tables
Date: 2022-11-09 17:33:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Karina's changes make sense to me, so +1.
> This is a minor patch, so I will set this as Ready For Committer.

Pushed with minor fiddling:

* I concur with Karina's thought that ERRCODE_WRONG_OBJECT_TYPE
is the most on-point errcode for this. The complaint is specifically
about the table relkind and has nothing to do with the storage
parameter per se. I also agree that it's not worth trying to use
a different errcode for CREATE vs. ALTER.

* The HINT message wasn't per project style (it should be formatted as
a complete sentence), and I thought using "parameters for" in the
main message but "parameters on" in the hint was oddly inconsistent.