Re: 'CVS-Unknown' buildfarm failures?

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'CVS-Unknown' buildfarm failures?
Date: 2006-06-04 13:18:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I said:

>> Another option would be to re-run cvs up one more time if we get any
>> unexpected files. It sounds like that would fix this issue on windows
>> machines, while still ensuring we had a clean repo to work from.
>>

> please see the new release of the buildfarm client, in which I have
> followed Tom's suggestion of removing the -P flag from the checkout and
> update commands - that should solve the Windows problem, as it will no
> longer try to remove the directory. I hope that solves the problem -
> if not I'll have a look at other solutions.

Unfortunately, this fell over first time out:
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=loris&dt=2006-06-04%2012:09:33
The fix handled directories, but we got a false positive from a rename not
being immediate either, it seems. Bloody Windows!

One thought I had was to force Windows to use CVS export rather than update.
This has 2 disadvantages: it requires a complete repo fetch every run, even
if we don't need to do anything because nothing has changed, and it also
means we can't report the version numbers on files changed. Example:
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=loris&dt=2006-06-04%2012:21:43
So what I'm going to try instead is a variation on Jim's suggestion above,
but instead of re-running cvs update, what we'll do is a longish sleep (say
10 or 20 secs) which should be enough time for Windows to get its act
together, and then run cvs status, which will also show us extraneous files.

thoughts?

cheers

andrew