Re: JDBC connection issue

From: Blaine Simpson <blaine(dot)simpson(at)admc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC connection issue
Date: 2004-07-21 21:47:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Use "md5" instead of "trust". Besides trust having all sorts of
problems to do
with ident daemons, I don't even know if the JDBC driver will work with
ident,
since JDBC network drivers generally pass a username and password. First
get psql working locally before trying to get the JDBC driver to work, like

psql -h hostname -U blaine dbname

Here's a typical md5 record:

host all all 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 md5

Where, as you probably know, 192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0 is the permitted
source IP range.

I've worked with about a dozen network JDBC drivers over the past several
years, as a driver developer and a user. Contrary to what some
Java-phobes say,
JDBC drivers are very easy to use directly from Java clients. The
difficulty comes when vendors build shitty abstraction, pooling, and
management functions to isolate your code from the JDBC drivers. Load
your JDBC driver directly with your own code and everything is simple.

I recommend you try my SqlTool client as a utility to get your setup
working.
http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/guide/ch07.html

--
ICF: 703-934-3692 Cell: 703-944-9317