Re: minimum operators for b-tree, r-tree

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minimum operators for b-tree, r-tree
Date: 2004-06-30 05:26:07
Lists: pgsql-general

elein wrote:
> When creating a new data type, what are
> the operators absolutely necessary for that
> type to particpate in a btree index?
>
> I know you need a "compare" that says = < or >=
> so does that mean that those three operators
> are the ones required?

I don't remember the details, but here is a link to the pgsql-committers
post from when I submitted a patch to do the same for bytea.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2001-08/msg00108.php
CVSROOT: /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name: pgsql
Changes by: tgl ( at ) hub ( dot ) org 01/08/13 14:45:36

Modified files:
src/backend/utils/adt: selfuncs.c varlena.c
src/include/catalog: catversion.h pg_amop.h pg_amproc.h
pg_opclass.h pg_operator.h pg_proc.h
src/include/utils: builtins.h

Log message:
Add comparison operators and btree indexing support for type
bytea. From Joe Conway.

You could go through cvs web to find the actual diffs, given the date
(13 Aug 2001):
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/

Joe