Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)
Date: 2004-06-08 18:27:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>Specifically about the logs, I still think there is a lot of value to
>being able to read the logs remotely even if you can't restart
>postmaster.

Since I believe that retrieving the logs easily without server file
access is a feature that's welcomed by many users, here's my proposal.

The attached diff will
- add a guc-variable log_filename
- extend log_destination to accept the keyword 'file'
- elog to that file if configured
- provide two functions pg_logfile_length() and pg_logfile to obtain the
contents.

int4 pg_logfile_length()
cstring pg_logfile(int4 size, int4 position)
size (may be null meaning max) is the chunk size (max: currently 50000)
position (may be null meaning -size) is the start position; positive
counting from log file start, negative from end.

Regards,
Andreas

Attachment Content-Type Size
logfile.diff text/plain 9.3 KB