Re: tuning for AIX 5L with large memory

From: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tuning for AIX 5L with large memory
Date: 2004-05-23 03:30:25
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

Christopher Browne wrote:

>We have a couple of these at work; they're nice and fast, although the
>process of compiling things, well, "makes me feel a little unclean."

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, Christopher. Would you mind
elaborating on the "makes me feel a little unclean" statement? Also, I'm
curious which models you are running and if you have any anecdotal
comparisons for perfomance? I'm completely unfamiliar with AIX, so if
there are dark corners that await me, I'd love to hear a little more so
I can be prepared. I'm going out on a limb here and jumping to an
unfamiliar architecture as well as OS, but the IO performance of these
systems has convinced me that it's what I need to break out of my I/O
limited x86 systems.

I suppose when I do get it, I'll just experiment with different sizes of
shared memory and run some benchmarks. For the price of these things,
they better be some good marks!

Thanks again

-Dan Harris