Re: proposal for configurable behaviour

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: bibjah(at)bg(dot)bib(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal for configurable behaviour
Date: 2004-05-20 20:04:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

bibjah(at)bg(dot)bib(dot)de wrote:

>Hello!
>
>It would be nice if the following could be configurable:
>
> * The place where connections and options are stored
> Reason: There are users without roaming profiles, so that
> information cannot be preserved in the registry. An option
> that allows saving these information in some file/directory
> in the home directory (like in the Unix version) would
> help.

I don't think we will do something like that. We'll stick to the usual
platform's behaviour, which of course is storing that stuff in the
registry. But it might work to create a pgadmin ini file in the run
directory, you'd have to try and find out.

> * Stopping in case of an SQL error in an SQL window
> Reason: Sometimes you have "drop" statement which yield an
> error if the object does not exist. The following statements
> won't get executed if one fails. It would come in handy if
> stopping in case of an SQL error was avoidable.

The pgsql backend will stop executing the batch. We can't avoid that.

>Some other idea also has to do with the SQL window. Have a look
>at TOra (http://www.globecomm.se/tora). There you can execute the
>statement where the cursor is in, all statements of the SQL window
>or step through the statements one by one. This feature would
>greatly enhance pgAdmin3.

You can mark a statement (or a part of it) and execute it separately. We
don't parse the text or make any assumptions what you might mean to execute.

Regards,
Andreas