Re: Design Rough

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Design Rough
Date: 2004-05-13 09:28:01
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> Now on to the problems:
>> 1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current
>> 'small' has very different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla,
>> too big in MSIE).
>

> I strongly recommend *not* using fixed font sizes. As an alternative,
> I'd suggest using alternative style sheets and a css-style switcher. If
> people find it too big (or too small), they can easily change the size
> for themselves. Using fixed point sizes is a definite strike against
> accessibility. Using fixed font sizes prevents people from resizing the
> font size using their browsers, among other things.

1) Modern browsers are perfectly capable of resizing the fonts if there
sizes are set in points.
2) Browsers have wildly different ideas about what 'small' and 'x-small'
are. That's why the menu on current PostgreSQL site is readable in some
browsers and completely unreadable in others. Do we want repeating it?