Re: Plan for feature freeze?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plan for feature freeze?
Date: 2004-05-01 01:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>For me even September 1st does not seem too late. Major version up
>bring users pains including backup/restore application
>imcompatibilty... IMO to justify those pains we need to give users
>major enhancements. Honestly I don't understand why we should rush the
>major version up.

I agree with this point even though I suggested August 1st. 7.5 has some
extremely ambitious plans,
far greater than 7.3 or 7.4 implemented. A longer release cycle might be
a good idea.

My personal daemons on this are:

Vacuum -- is the stuff Jan is working going to make a July 1st date? If
not... 7.5 should push.
Win32 -- if it won't make it, then 7.5 should push.

PITR is nice but not as vital (IMHO) as the two above.

Replication -- we have either via Replicator or Slony-I which is due in
a month.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake