Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Mark Harrison <mh(at)pixar(dot)com>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-28 18:18:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Alexey Borzov wrote:
>> I realize this. I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap
>> would
>> give Postgres a hands up in this category.
>

> A hands up in *what* category? In bragging?

In telling your boss, "I think we should use Postgresql."

It's likely he's not stupid, and it's reasonable for him
to say "since I'm tying my own success to this software, I want
to have some indication as to where this software is going to
go."

Something like Josh Berkus' table of features would be very nice.

(I've worked with sales teams at my various former employers, and
the best things you can provide them are documents (feature descriptions,
competitive analyses, white papers, etc) that your customer contact can
use as the basis for his own justification to buy your product.
All of this can be summarized as "make it easy for people to help you.")

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mark Harrison