Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, marcin mank <marcin(dot)mank(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after
Date: 2010-02-15 11:55:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> If I understood him correctly marcin seems to mount a windows share on linux
> via some vbox-proprietary pseudo filesystem. That wont get detected and thus
> no junctions will be used... (I have doubts you even can create them via
> vboxfs (or even smb)).
> I would consider that a unsupported setup. Agreed?

I'm not sure which versions of Windows we support in general. But on
further thought I thought we only used hard links for xlog files on
systems where we knew they worked and just did a rename() on systems
without them. So I'm puzzled why we're trying to hard link on this
system. Perhaps we need to make this a run-time check instead of just
making it depend on the system.

--
greg