Re: When is a record NULL?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: When is a record NULL?
Date: 2009-07-26 21:57:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Kevin
Grittner<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> Also, the
> requirement that, to be considered a relational database, it must be
> impossible to write two queries which can be shown to be logically
> equivalent but which optimize to different access plans to be, well, a
> bit "ivory tower."

Personally I think that's a fine goal to aim for. I'm not sure what
"to be considered a relational database" means but I consider a bug
whenever there's a case where this isn't true. It may be a bug that we
don't have a good solution for or a bug that's too minor for the
amount of effort it would require but it's still not right and if we
found a solution that we were happy with we would definitely want to
fix it.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf