Re: Images in Database

From: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: Rod K <rod(at)23net(dot)net>
Cc: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Images in Database
Date: 2004-03-27 23:33:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Valid point. Maintenance might be easier (although i don't think you can
dump and move images easily to another DB; you'd probably have to do
some kind of direct connection to another DB to move them). When in a
filesystem, you could bzip everything, and move them easily. There could
also be an URL-prefix field for each client, followed by a URL suffix
field for each image. Thus maintenance most of the time would be as easy
as changing the prefix.
However, no matter how small an image is, it takes the same amount of
BLOB space, doesn't it. This, IMHO, means a lot of wasted storage. Not
sure if that also affects performance to some small degree. Storage is
cheap, but still it costs money.

So, still it looks to me storing multi-media w/o additional benefits
isn't quite worthwhile. But if there was something like find image LIKE
another image, then i'd change my opinion in a sec. :)
But then again, i'm not against it. I just think it doesn't buy much,
and wastes storage space.

--
Sincerely,
Reshat.