Re: unimplemented functions

From: Bill Montgomery <billm(at)lulu(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unimplemented functions
Date: 2004-03-19 14:38:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

chris(at)zenmgt(dot)com wrote:

> I'm new to postgres and pgadmin3 (on Windows XP).
>
> I've just tried to make a change to a table using pgAdmin3 (1.0.2) and
> I get:-
>
> ---------------------------
> pgAdmin III
> ---------------------------
> An error has occured:
>
> ERROR: adding columns with defaults is not implemented
> HINT: Add the column, then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
>
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> When will this be fixed? Is this the right forum for discussing
> unimplemented fuctions? Is there somewhere or someone specific to
> point is out with?

Chris,

This isn't a pgadmin bug--it is a limitation of Postgres. You can't add
a column to a table *and* set a default value for it all in one
statement. Try the hint that is given: add the column, then alter the
column to set the default value. You can read the details of using the
ALTER command in the Postgres online documentation.

Regards,

Bill Montgomery