libpq binary transfer of the numeric data type

From: Eliot Simcoe <esimcoe(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: libpq binary transfer of the numeric data type
Date: 2004-06-14 18:25:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello Everyone,

I am writing an Objective-C wrapper of libpq and would like to
implement automatic type conversion between the standard PostgreSQL
data types and associated Objective-C wrapper classes.

it has been a struggle using the binary I/O method supported by
PQexecParams() for both parameter passing and result retrieval due to
the lack of documentation on the internal data representations used by
PostgreSQL, and after reading a number of posts from 1999 frowning upon
its usage I am aware of the issues associate with this approach. I've
searched the lists numerous times for information on the binary
representations of a number of types such as Date and Numeric in vain.
Finally, after about a day of poking header files (literally) I was
able to extract the internal data structures from the PgSQL source
code. Now I am facing the challenge of deciphering their usage.

typedef struct
{
SInt32 varlen; // variable size (std varlena header)
SInt16 n_weight; // weight of 1st digit
UInt16 n_sign_dscale; // sign + display scale
SInt8 n_data[1]; // digits
}
sql_numeric;

Could someone please explain to me what the varlen field is used for?
It seems to hold enormous values in my testing, so it couldn't possibly
be the allocated number of bytes or bits... or the number of digits
stored in the n_data field. The n_data field itself is a mystery. I
can't seem to figure out exactly how it is storing the digits.
According to numeric.c n_data is an array of signed short integers.
Each short integer represents four numbers in some sort of
binary-coded-decimal like means. I can extract the values in the first
two shorts, but the rest of the results seem garbled. Here is some
source code illustrating what I have done:

sql_numeric numeric = (sql_numeric)(*((sql_numeric *)[data bytes]));
UInt16 dscale = numeric.n_sign_dscale & NUMERIC_DISPLAY_SCALE_MASK;
NSMutableString *string = [NSMutableString string];
UInt32 i, c = ([data length] - 8) / 2;
UInt32 partShorts = (dscale + 3) / 4;
UInt32 wholeShorts = c - partShorts;

for( i = 0 ; i < wholeShorts ; i++ )
{
SInt16 value = (SInt16)(((SInt16 *)(numeric.n_data))[i]);
char block[5];
UInt32 j = 0;
char t;

sprintf( block, "%d", value );

while( (t = block[j++]) != '\0' )
{
[string appendFormat:@"%c", t];
}
}

[string appendString:@"."];

for( i = wholeShorts ; i < c ; i++ )
{
SInt16 value = (SInt16)(((SInt16 *)(numeric.n_data))[i]);
char block[5];
UInt32 j = 0;
char t;

sprintf( block, "%d", value );

while( (t = block[j++]) != '\0' )
{
[string appendFormat:@"%c", t];
}
}

NSLog( string );

This is obviously a quick hack in a desperate attempt to figure out how
the data is packed, but the results are strange. The input to the above
is the numeric 123456777654.890123. The output (as displayed by
NSLog()) is 123456774353.-267846, indicating that the first two shorts
are decoded "correctly", but the rest is completely wrong. I am
puzzled.

Anyway, my first question is: How can I convert this into a double
value? I know it isn't ideal, but at least it will allow the developer
to access the number is some sort of meaningful way.

My second question is related to an apparent difference between the
documentation and one of the examples provided. Is the data always
converted to big endian byte order when transferred over the network,
or is it dependent on the serving architecture? It seems to me that
this should be standardized, and the third example program seems to
state that it is. I have read, however, posts to these lists indicating
that it is not.

Anyway, sorry for this long winded post, but I have been struggling for
a while and would really appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Thanks in advance,

Eliot Simcoe
Software Engineer
Vantine Imaging, LLC.