Re: Add support for AT LOCAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, cary huang <hcary328(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add support for AT LOCAL
Date: 2023-10-21 05:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-10-19 10:38:14 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that even AIX gcc support is
>> delivering enough value per unit work to justify keeping it around.
>> But the xlc situation is worse.

> Agreed with both. If it were just a platform that didn't need special casing
> in a bunch of places, it'd be one thing, but it's linkage model is so odd that
> it makes no sense to keep AIX support around. But I'll take what I can get...

The other thread recently referred to:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20220702183354.a6uhja35wta7agew%40alap3.anarazel.de

was mostly about how AIX's choice that alignof(double) < alignof(int64)
breaks a whole bunch of assumptions in our code. AFAICS we've done
nothing to resolve that, and nobody really wants to deal with it,
and there's no good reason to think that fixing it would improve
portability to any other platform. So maybe there's an adequate
case for just nuking AIX support altogether? I can't recall the
last time I saw a report from an actual AIX end user.