pl/perl thoughts

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pl/perl thoughts
Date: 2004-02-21 17:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

FYI here are some of my thoughts I just sent to Joshua Drake.

I would add a couple of points:
. since there is a security advisory for Safe.pm prior to version 2.08,
maybe we should replace "require Safe;" with "use Safe 2.08;".
. I thought about some sort of precompilation methods for perl functions
known to the database (store the function refs in a hash so you could
get at them via syntax like
&{$func_hash{schema_name}->{func_name}}(@func_args) ). I decided to
abandon this approach mainly because of postgresql's function
overloading, making disambiguation very hard. With a full SPI interface
there will be access to any function, not just plperl functions, and
postgres will do the disambiguation for you. Also, see below for a
slightly more klunky but much more lightweight approach which would mean
there was no necessity for a callback to postgresql.

cheers

andrew