Re: recover as much as possible (xlog flush request not satisfied)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wim Goedertier <Wim_Goedertier(at)symantec(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recover as much as possible (xlog flush request not satisfied)
Date: 2012-07-08 16:06:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Wim Goedertier <Wim_Goedertier(at)symantec(dot)com> writes:
> I have a postgres db version 8.2.15 (Yes, I know it's rather old version).
> After correcting some disk and file system problems the postgres table seems to be corrupt, returning:

> ERROR: xlog flush request B67/44479CB8 is not satisfied --- flushed only to B67/429EB150

> CONTEXT: writing block 33652 of relation 1663/18776/21757

> on a simple select statement.
> What is the best way to get past this?

Well, *first*, stop the database and take a filesystem-level backup of
the $PGDATA directory tree. That will at least let you get back to
where you are now if experimentation makes it worse.

You could suppress this particular class of complaints by using
pg_resetxlog to advance the WAL endpoint past whatever's in the
database. That won't do anything to fix corruption, it'll just
silence this particular consistency check. But it might be
enough to let you run pg_dump.