Re: inserting new records without OIDs

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: mdoggett(at)coas(dot)oregonstate(dot)edu
Cc: "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inserting new records without OIDs
Date: 2004-02-17 17:15:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Matt Doggett wrote:

>Ooops. I sent this yesterday to the wrong maillist address. Sorry. I'll
>repost here.
>
>MD

Not true. Currently, you need either OID *or* a primary key. Obviously,
that id column should get a pk.
We'll extend the grid some time, to accept any other unique keys also.
Still, defining a PK on every table is best practice.
Defining a column as serial does *not* guarantee it's unique!

Regards,
Andreas