Re: How To Connect to another Database inside a plpgsql function

From: Mark Gibson <gibsonm(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Gezeala 'Eyah' Bacuño II <gezeala25(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How To Connect to another Database inside a plpgsql function
Date: 2004-02-13 09:30:55
Lists: pgsql-php

Gezeala 'Eyah' Bacuño II wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>
> I have 2 database namely "DB1" and "DB2".
>
> In DB1 I created a plgpsql function fnTest().
>
> My problem is inside fnTest() I need to check some tables in DB2! I've
> no idea how to do this. Usually when I make a function I only access
> tables/views/functions in the same database. I really don't know if
> this is possible.

Take a look at contrib/dblink, it allows cross database queries like this:

SELECT *
FROM
dblink('host=myhost dbname=DB1 user=me',
'SELECT col1, col2, col3
FROM mytable')
AS t (col1 integer, col2 text, col3 real);

--
Mark Gibson <gibsonm |AT| cromwell |DOT| co |DOT| uk>
Web Developer & Database Admin