Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Paul Smith <iconpart(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres
Date: 2004-02-12 21:16:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

There isn't a .mak file for pg_dumpall, nor for any client program
except psql as far as I can see. In fact, the nightmare difficulties of
keeping MS type makefiles in sync with our GNU type makefiles is one of
the big reasons that we chose to adopt MinGW instead as the supported
build environment for the native Windows port.

With the Win32 port there will be native Windows versions of all
programs. It would certainly make sense to have a "clients only" Windows
install package, as well as a "server+clients" package - although I am
not working on the packaging. I have no knowledge about Mac clients,
although I believe the full range of programs work on OS-X.

You might be able to get someone (e.g. me :-) ) to work for $$$ making
packaged Windows binaries of other 7.4.1 client apps, assuming it is
possible, if they are required before the next release. I doubt anyone
will work on it otherwise - those of us interested in Windows apps are
concentrating on the full Windows port.

My own solution to the problem, if I am using a non-Unix workstation, is
usually to connect to a Unix box (via ssh and/or VNC) and run the
required client from there. That plus Samba and/or NFS allow me to put
things where I want and run them where I can.

My own opinion is that Cygwin is usually fine for client use such as
this - I agree that I wouldn't run it for production server use.

cheers

andrew