Re: Win32 hard crash problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date: 2006-09-29 21:55:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> O.k. further on this.. the crashing is happening quickly now but not
> predictably. (as in sometimes a week sometimes 2 days).

OK, that seems to eliminate the GetTickCount-overflow theory anyway.

> That log entry is the last (of consequence) entry before the machine says:
> 2006-09-28 16:40:36.921 LOG: received fast shutdown request

Oh? That's pretty interesting on a Windows machine, because AFAIK there
wouldn't be any standard mechanism that might tie into our homegrown
signal facility. Anyone have a theory on what might trigger a SIGINT
to the postmaster, other than intentional pg_ctl invocation?