RI / foreign key on VIEW

From: Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RI / foreign key on VIEW
Date: 2004-02-07 12:39:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I have a db structure with a VIEW that I need to reference (ON DELETE CASCADE).
I know that it is not possible to have references on a VIEW, but maybe someone has some TRIGGERs at
hand that do this job.

Here's an example to play with:

-- This table holds objects (many different sorts)
--
CREATE TABLE objekt (
id_objekt SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,

--
-- This table makes (some) objects buyable (products)
--

--
-- This table expires some products

--
-- This is the virtual product table
--

INSERT INTO objekt (handle) values ('product 1');
INSERT INTO objekt (handle) values ('product 2');

INSERT INTO price (id_objekt, price) values (1, 1.99);
INSERT INTO price (id_objekt, price) values (2, 2.99);
INSERT INTO price (id_objekt, price) values (3, 3.99);

INSERT INTO expire (id_objekt, expire) values (2, '01.01.1980');

--
-- This is what I need to be done with TRIGGERs
--

ERROR: referenced relation "product" is not a table

TIA
--
e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539