Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64
Date: 2004-01-23 18:18:35
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

>>XFS.. hands down.
>>

>I thought it was you who recently said you thought there was some
>sort of possible caching problem there?

Not I. We have had issues with JFS and data corruption on a powerout but
XFS has been rock solid in all of our tests.

XFS also has the interesting ability (although I have yet to test it)
that will allow you
to take a snapshot of the filesystem. Thus you can have filesystem level
backups
of the PGDATA directory that are consistent even though the database is
running.
There is nothing else on Linux that comes close to that. Plus XFS has been
proven in a 64 bit environment (Irix).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake