Postgres V9.1 - unix socket directory Ubuntu /tmp vs /var/run/postgres

From: "Day, David" <dday(at)redcom(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres V9.1 - unix socket directory Ubuntu /tmp vs /var/run/postgres
Date: 2012-01-13 22:06:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

I have been working with a V9.0.5 postgresql source distribution under Ubuntu 10.04 where the tools (createdb, psql )  seemed to know that the socket communication file was found/created in /tmp.
I don't recall having to set any configure options to have this work correctly.

Upon recent migration to V9.1.2   I find that on using pg_ctl to start the database the socket file is created in /tmp.  However the tools ( psql, creatdb ) seem to expect the socket file in /var/run/postgresql.

I have solved my problem by declaring the unix_socket_directory in postgresql.conf file to be /var/run/postgresql.    It does seem for a standard build they should have a common location?

Have I overlooked some configuration setting ?

Thanks

Dave

pgsql-novice by date

Previous:From: Tom BrowderDate: 2012-01-13 17:38:20
Subject: Re: Security Best Practices: Is This Reasonable?