Re: OT :: attempt on website changes

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT :: attempt on website changes
Date: 2004-01-14 08:45:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi!

First of all, I fully understand that this discussion is OT here. If you want to
move it to pgsql-www, then approve my subscription to it...

Robert Treat wrote:
>>What I proposed were the simple --- I prototyped them in an hour's work ---
>>usability improvements.
>
> ISTM you've missed the point. It's simple to say "make the fonts bigger
> on the header page". It's also simple to mock up a page to make the
> header links bigger. But what isn't simple is actually pushing that out
> to all of the pages, mainly due to legacy architectural issues. The
> latter is where we need the help, not the former.

OK then. I'll checkout the pgweb code and move all common HTML to header and
footer files. I'll send the patch directly to you.

I don't see how moving all the common HTML code may interfere with adding
whatever translation code, so I guess these are two separate tasks.

When the HTML is duplicated no more, I'll propose a patch along the lines of the
mock-up I posted.

> contributions are welcome, but they need to actually be things that
> help. busting out one-off page designs isn't terribly helpful. If you
> can get the kinks worked out with Andreas code I'll commit your patches
> myself.

Are these "kinks" documented anywhere?

> Heck you'd probably get commit rights to CVS yourself, but I'm
> not sure why you expect everyone to kow-tow to you when you haven't
> presented us with anything of substance, especially given the extremely
> adversarial tone you've taken.

Sorry, but my tone worked wonders. When people (me included) just posted
suggestions, they were safely and comfortably ignored. As soon as I used the
appropriate tone, I got most of the anwers I needed...

I also understand the meritocratic nature of OS development, so will now just
shut up and do the patch I mentioned.