Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me

From: Harry Sufehmi <milis-2(at)harrysufehmi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me
Date: 2005-04-28 05:54:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

At 09:50 27/04/2005 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>Harry Sufehmi wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Thank you for the ODBC driver, it has enabled us to access the PostgreSQL
>>server from our Windows 2000 & XP machine.
>>However, people on Windows 9x/Me machines are having problems.
>>Basically, everytime they open the MS Access application, the application
>>failed with the following error message:
>>"ODBC -- connection to 'pgsql_sir' failed."
>>There's a workaround for this - if we create a new table link to the
>>PostgreSQL database, then afterwards everything works fine. I have no
>>idea why it solves the problem (temporarily), but there you go.
>>But of course this can not be / not feasible to be done by the users
>>everytime they start up the application, so I hope somebody can help us
>>to solve this problem.
>
>Hmm - not seen this particular problem. I'd suspect a problem with
>name-lookup though - I've seen that cause strange problems with Access and
>linked tables/connections.
>Might be worth trying:
> 1. Connect using the IP address of the server, not it's name
> 2. Add the server's IP and name to the HOSTS/LMHOSTS file(s)
>There are details on step 2 on the web - just google.

Thanks for the reply Richard.
However, we already uses IP address to point to the server.

If you wish to look at the raw data, they've been made available here :

http://www.abangadek.com/tamu/ODBCLOG-unable-to-connect.txt

http://www.abangadek.com/tamu/ODBCLOG-connected-after-creating-new-link-in-Access.txt

Thanks,
Harry